These cleansing, blemish controlling and pimple preventing tips can kick your skin care routine into high gear and to get flawless skin within few days. Acne arise overnight due to simple negligence in your skin care routine, but the problem can persist for several days or sometimes even months. Get rid of acne with these simple skin care tips.
1. Always wash your face before bed with a salicylic face wash. You can also use homemade face scrub to deep clean the skin. Mix 1 tbsp of besan, a pinch of turmeric and a little milk to make a smooth paste. Apply over face and neck and gently massage in circular movements for at least 1-2 minutes to deep cleanse the skin. If you are too tired to wash your face, use face wipes to remove the makeup or dirt.
2. Don’t hurry while you clean. Wash your face for 30 secs to 1 minute with a generous amount of cleanser. It takes a little bit of time to clear dirt and oil off your face.
3. Use lukewarm water when washing your face. Hot water dries out your skin, and cold water won’t open up your pores. After you have finished cleaning, finally rinse with very cold water to close the clean pores.
4. Be gentle while washing or scrubbing the face. Scrubbing too hard can damage the skin’s elasticity and can irritate the skin. Avoid harsh scrubs and even wash cloths, which can be too rough on your face and can cause irritation. Use clean hands instead.
5. Foam up your cleanser on clean hands first by rubbing between your palms with a little water. It helps to activate the ingredients and makes it more effective when applied to your face.
6. Don’t skip your morning wash. Hair styling products, dandruff, dirt, dead skin cells etc., get absorbed by your pillowcase then transfer to your skin. If it’s not cleared away in the morning, the pores get clogged and causes acne.
7. Don’t over wash. If your skin still feels oily, instead of washing again apply astringent after cleansing. Over cleaning the face causes more sebum production and triggers the acne.
8. Give exfoliation a top priority. It removes dead skin cells and dirt that are blocking your pores. It keeps the skin freshly breathing and prevents acne causing bacteria. Products with alpha hydroxy and lactic acids exfoliate gently to make you look radiant. Creams with glycolic acid can be used at night for gentle exfoliation.
9. Don’t use the scrub as a first step to clean the face. Wash the face with a mild face wash, then exfoliate. If the skin is clean and free of surface dirt, the exfoliant can focus on digging out the stubborn dirt and oil that are stuck deeper inside your pores.
10. Dry brush your face with clean and gentle brush. You can also use a gentle brush while washing your face to exfoliate and effectively remove the dead skin cells or makeup. Foam up the cleanser and apply on wet skin. Use a gentle exfoliating brush to gently massage the skin. The smooth texture of cleanser makes the brush to gently glide over the skin, while removing away all the dirt and dead skin effectively.
11. Be sure to rinse completely. Left-over cleanser does the same harm as the dirt and oil. Rinse with water with gentle massage till skin feels clean and smooth and no longer slippery or soapy.
12. Use a clean towel every time you wash the skin. Pat dry the skin. Do nut rub hard to wipe the face.
13. If you have extremely oily skin and your skin is more acne prone, apply a little lemon juice mixed with equal quantity of water over clean face. Leave overnight.
14. A 3-step approach is what is needed to prevent acne–a salicylic acid cleanser, a benzoyl peroxide cream, and a light moisturizer.
15. Unclog pores with an all-natural treatment. Use strawberries, lemon juice, yogurt, besan, oatmeal, oranges, grapes, papaya or pineapple in your face masks to gently exfoliate and deep cleanse the skin. Browse here for most efficient homemade face masks.
16. Use a clay mask. The ingredients will penetrate deep intoyour skin and clean out excess oil and bacteria. It’s also an exfoliate to open pores and get rid of the dirt clogged inside the pores.
17. Use alcohol free products on your skin. Also keep the makeup as minimal as possible. Too many products can irritate the skin and triggers acne.
18. Popping out the pimples can cause infections, making the skin worse. Dab a tiny amount of acne cream on problem areas morning and night. It brings down swelling until your zit disappears.
19. If your at home treatment is not working, don’t hesitate to see a dermatologist. If the reason for your acne is some internal body condition, home treatments may not be effective on your skin. Dermatologist recommended products can help you to reduce the problem.
20. Benzoyl peroxide products are great at fighting pimples, but can be drying, so use them only once a day or every other day when you have acne. If it’s drying out or irritating your skin, switch out your cleanser for a gentle formula. Salicylic acid (in creams, gels, astringents or masks) dries less than benzoyl peroxide, so it can be used without drying your skin.
21. Oatmeal treatment: Cook oatmeal as directed on the package. Let it cool, and then stir in lemon juice and an egg white. Apply mixture on pimples and leave overnight. Store the remaining mixture in a fridge for a week.
22. If your skin tend to get pimples on a regular basis, even right before you have, start using a benzoyl peroxide face wash, or apply a thin layer of a benzoyl peroxide cream to your whole face before bed. It will kill any bacteria that could cause acne.
23. Make sure to wash your makeup brushes regularly with a brush cleaner or baby shampoo. If you use makeup sponges, use disposable ones and discard them after each use. These tools can accumulate bacteria, which can lead to breakouts. Dirty brushes can make the most expensive skincare routines go to waste.
24. Keep your hair off your face. Oil, dirt, dandruff and hair products from your hair can get on your face and clog your pores. Keep hair totally clean and try to keep conditioner and other hair products away from your skin. And try to keep your hair off your face.
26. Acne treatments dry out blemishes and the rest of your face. This may damage the skin. Apply an oil-free non-comedogenic moisturizer with sunscreen every day to keep your skin smooth and protected.
27. Do not rub the skin care products into your skin. Apply the toner, foundation or any kind of makeup in dots all over the face and then gently stroke on using your fingers. This prevents damage to your skin and also gives better coverage.
28. Use sunscreen daily. Sun screen isn’t just for summer, your skin needs protection every day, even in winter or in cloudy days. Use a non-comedogenic sun screen to prevent clogging pores. Use a light weight daily moisturizer with SPF which is recommended for oily skin. Look for more PA++ rating, it covers both UVA and UVB rays,which protects the skin from sun damage, blemishes and wrinkles.
29. Carry oil-absorbing tissues in your bag. Use them to blot away any shine that pops up while you’re out.
30. Use toner on your T-zone. Swipe the area with a cotton pad soaked in a toner that contains salicylic acid to get rid of extra dirt clogging pores.