Greasy or Oily hair generally results from the over production of sebum in the scalp. You may have genetically inherited this condition. Certain environmental and hormonal factors play their part in aggravating this problem. Washing the hair too often is not the solution. The more you wash your hair, the more oil your scalp produces, and the bigger your problem becomes. Oily hair can also cause dandruff. It can spoil your hair style in no time.
Here are some tips for oily hair :
- Lemon and ACV: Squeeze a lemon into a bowl of water. Add 2-3 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to it. Use it as a conditioner after shampooing.
- Aloe Vera: Mix one tbsp of aloe vera gel and one tbsp lemon juice to 2 tbsp of shampoo. Use this mixture to wash your hair.
- Before you wash your hair, rub grape seed oil into the scalp and hair. Leave for at least half an hour and wash your hair with a mild shampoo made for oily hair.
- Boil 1 cup of water and add 1 or 2 black tea bags to it or add 1-2 tbsp of black tea powder. Let it cool. Use this as a conditioner after washing hair. Leave for 5 minutes and rinse.
- Depending on the length of your hair, whisk one or two egg yolks and apply them to wet hair. Leave for 10 minutes and wash with a mild shampoo.
- Rub some soda into your hair(not on scalp) and then brush it thoroughly to spread it everywhere. This will be helpful when you are in a hurry. It absorbs excess oil from the hair.
- Massage your hair with a mixture of white vinegar and water. Leave it on for a few minutes and rinse.
- Cleanse your hair with a mixture of lemon juice and distilled water. This greatly reduces the oily hair.
- Do not over use hair products like gels, sprays, creams and mousses. They make the hair oily and create excessive build up on the hair.
- You can disguise the oily hair with a bit of talcum or baby powder: sprinkle on your hair and fluff it.
- Drink plenty of water and fresh fruit juices. Avoid oily foods.
- Limit the use of conditioner on your hair if you have oily hair. Conditioners are best suited for dry hair.
- Rinse or soak your hair with weak tea, a lemon’s worth of juice mixed with a cup of water, or 1/4 cup of vinegar with two cups of water to correct your hair’s pH, remove residue and add shine.