White heads are the closed comedones formed when the follicles on the skin are filled with sebum. While the pores with black heads appear wider, follicles with white heads have only a microscopic opening. The sweat ducts get clogged and blocked due to pollution or excess oil and closed Comedones appear. When these Comedones react with Melanin, then Black heads appear, if they do not react with Melanin then White heads are formed. Usually white heads may appear over night, but it takes 2-3 weeks to get rid of them completely.
The most common cause of these comedones is wrong choice of make-up and skin care products. Most of the moisturizers, sunscreens, foundations etc contain oil derivatives. These oil-based products are the major culprits causing comedones. Actually the toners, astringents blushes etc are not needed to be used daily. You can look awesome in simple make up too.
The first and foremost thing to do to avoid these closed comedones or white heads is to regularly remove excess oil and dead skin cells. Usually these white heads can be controlled with little patience by self care. Salons and Dermatologists use a hook-like instrument to clear off these white heads. Make sure that these instruments are boiled before they can be used on your skin, to avoid bacterial infections.
#Follow these simple tips at home to avoid and remove the white heads faster, before they can bother you:-
1)Baking Soda:- This is the most common and effective remedy for removing white heads.
- Take 1 tbsp baking soda and add 1 tbsp water to it to just make it wet.
- Rub this extra gently on the affected area of the skin for 10 seconds.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and wash away.
- Immediately apply honey over the skin after washing, leave for at least 5 minutes and rinse with water.
- Applying honey will remove the bacteria too and avoids further formation of white heads. It also re-hydrates the skin.
2)Raw Potato Juice:- Raw potato cleans the pores and removes excess oil. Extract raw potato juice by blending in a mixer and straining it. Apply over the skin and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse with warm water. Follow this remedy 2-3 times a day daily and particularly before bed.
3)Tomatoes:- Tomatoes are rich in Vitamin C. They work as great natural astringents. Tomatoes are a great remedy to avoid and remove acne, white heads and black heads. Run a small tomato in a blender. Use the pulp as a face mask. Leave for 15 minutes and rinse with water. This makes the skin very fresh since the pores are deeply cleaned.
4)Toothpaste:- A non-fluoridated tooth paste is an effective and quick remedy to remove white heads. Apply a thin coat of tooth paste on affected areas. Leave for 20 minutes a rinse with water. Don’t forget to thoroughly clean to remove all the residues.
5)Almond Scrub:- Almonds are healthy and effective source in skin care regimen. They gently and deeply cleanse the skin pores and boosts the skin health.
- Take a hand full of almonds and run in a blender very slowly. Ensure that the powder is smooth enough. Almond powder may appear little wet due to the natural oils contained it which are lightly extracted due to blending.
- Take a heaped spoon of almond powder and mix with very little rose water, just to make it wet and smooth.
- Rub this mixture over the skin gently for 1-2 minutes. Rinse with water.
- It not only removes the white heads, but also deep cleans, removes dead cells, adds natural moisture and makes the skin glow.
6)Rice and Milk Scrub:- Rice is an excellent ingredient to remove excess oil and dead cells.
- Mix 2-3 tbsp rice in 1/4 cup of milk for 1-2 hours. Run it in a blender to make a paste. It should not be too coarse.
- Scrub the skin gently with this paste for 2 minutes. It removes all the white heads and makes the skin fresh looking.
7)Turmeric Steam:- The firm comedones becomes loose and easy to remove by treating the skin with a hot steam for few minutes.
- Take a pan half filled with water and bring it to a boil. Add turmeric to the boiling water.
- With utmost care to avoid accidental burns, put your face in the way the steam is escaping from the boiling water but not too close to the bowl. Ensure that the affected areas are exposed to steam. Take very short breaks in between to avoid continuous heating of skin.
- After steam treating the face for 2-3 minutes, immediately scrub the face extra gently. Even the very firm comedones get removed from deep roots. After scrubbing apply a little honey over the treated skin for 5 minutes and rinse.
8)Lemon:- Applying fresh lemon juice over the affected areas for 5-10 minutes will kill all the bacteria and removes the white heads by deep cleansing the pores.
9)Cornstarch and Apple Cider Vinegar:- Take 2-3 tbsp of cornstarch in a bowl. Add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to make it a smooth paste. Apply it over the affected areas of the skin. Leave for 10-15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
10)Fenugreek leaves:- Take half cup of Fenugreek leaves and blend it while adding a very little water to make it into a smooth paste. Apply this over the affected areas. Leave for 15-20 minutes and wash thoroughly.
#While using face scrubs or face masks, make-up, foundation, soaps etc.,, always make sure that you wash thoroughly rubbing and rinsing with plenty of water to remove all the deeply accumulated residues. By being careful, you will not allow the sweat blocked in follicles and you can keep the comedones at bay. While choosing your creams or cosmetics, ensure they are non-comedogenic.