The hot, hazy and humid weather conditions in India during the summer and monsoon make your skin produce excess oils. Your skin feels sticky because the sweat don’t evaporate but instead it gets mixed up with the sebum and dirt. The humidity and the sticky layer on the face makes the skin suitable for bacteria growth. This bacteria along with excess sebum, dead cells and dirt clogs the skin pores giving rise to whiteheads, blackheads and big pimples. The humid weather also aggravates the dandruff problem and adds to acne problem.
Skin care tips to avoid pimples:
1. Cucumber and lemon water detox:
Quench the skin’s thirst by drinking plenty of water. Sufficient intake of water removes toxins from the body. It also removes the stubborn dirt that is accumulated in the pores and clears the clogged pores. Adding cucumber slices and lemon juice will keep your body more hydrated and also detoxes the body more effectively. Cucumbers contain silica, which provides extra benefits to the skin. The rich vitamin-C in lemon juice keeps the skin fresh and radiant.
Peel and slice a cucumber. Add these slices to a large jug of water and squeeze a lemon into it. Add some fresh mint leaves to it. Keep drinking this water throughout the day whenever you feel thirsty, instead of plain water. This keeps the skin clear and avoids pimples.
2. Natural cleanser:
If you live in a hot and humid area, you will need to wash your face at least 3 times a day. It is very good to use besan to clean your face during humid weathers. It is more effective than face washes or soaps and controls excess oil production. Soaps dry off the upper layers of the skin and results in excessive oil production. This will cause more pimples.
Add 1 tbsp yogurt and 2 tbsp lemon juice to 1 tbsp besan powder and mix well to make a thick paste. Massage this paste gently on wet face for 2-3 minutes and rinse with plain water.
3. Natural moisturizer:
It is very essential to keep your skin moisturized, even in summers. If using moisturizers is causing pimples on your face, avoid using. You can use raw honey to naturally moisturize your skin without making it oily or sticky. Skin does not absorb the thick moisturizers, yet makes the skin oily.
Apply raw honey over clean face, massage gently and leave for 15-20 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water. Raw honey is a natural humectant i.e., it draws moisture from the air into the skin. Your skin becomes soft and supple. It also deep cleans the pores and helps prevent pimples.
4. Some natural face masks:
Treating your face with natural homemade face masks will keep your facial skin clear and radiant. While so, not all the face masks are helpful at all the times. There are certain face mask recipes you should choose in humid weathers. In other weather conditions it is sufficient to use face masks twice a week. But during humid seasons, you need to use homemade face masks even more times per week.
Banana, papaya, oatmeal, yogurt, egg white, apple, green tea, clay, lemon juice, rice water and cucumber are some ingredients you can include in your face mask recipes during summers.
- Banana honey face mask: Mash a piece of ripe banana and add 1 tbsp raw honey to it. Mix well until it becomes a smooth paste. Spread on clean face and leave for 15 mins. Rinse with water.
- Papaya honey face mask: Take a piece of semi-ripe papaya, including the peels. Blend it to make a paste. Mix 1 tbsp honey to it. Apply this over clean face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse well.
- Oatmeal yogurt face mask: To 1-2 tbsp powdered oatmeal, add 2 tbsp yogurt and mix well. Add a little lemon juice or honey to it. Spread this over clean face and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse well.
- Cucumber clay face mask: Peel and blend half a cucumber to make a smooth paste. Add 4-5 tbsp of this cucumber paste to 2-3 tbsp of clay. Mix well to make a smooth paste. Add lemon juice or rose water if required. Apply this paste on clean face and leave until dry or at least 20 minutes. Rinse well.
- Egg white lemon juice face mask: Pour an egg white in a bowl and beat well. Squeeze half a lemon juice into it. Mix well and apply this on clean face. Leave for 15-20 minutes and rinse.
- Peel a small potato and grate or blend it. Apply this on clean face and leave for 15-20 mins. Rinse well.
- Apply fresh aloe vera on clean face and leave until dry. Rinse well. Apply several times a day.
- Mix rose water in 2-3 tbsp of Sandalwood powder to make a smooth paste. Apply this on clean face and leave until it dries or at least 15 minutes. Rinse with water.
- Use Green tea or rice soaked water to rinse your face several times a day. Simply wet your face with green tea or rice soaked water and let dry naturally instead of wiping.
- Mix 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar in 1/4 cup of water and use this solution as hair conditioner, every time you shampoo your hair. Pour this solution on your entire head and hair after washing hair. Leave for 10 minutes and rinse. It will control dandruff and residues from hair and scalp. It helps in preventing pimples caused due to dandruff.