Discoloration of the skin around the eyes is referred to as dark circles. Dark circles under eyes can be caused due to various reasons such as aging, exposure to the sun, heredity, dry skin, working for long hours in front of the computer screen, prolonged crying, lack of sleep, mental or physical stress, alcohol and tobacco, skin tone and an unhealthy diet.
Although they are not a very serious health problem, but they can make a person look older than their age, exhausted, tired and shabby. There are several ways to remove dark circles under the eyes. In extreme cases, one can also opt for a cosmetic surgery. Here are a few ways by which dark circles can be treated at home:
1. Cucumber Slices – Cut thin slices of cucumber and chill them. Place these slices on the affected area. Leave them for 10 minutes and then wash with water. They have skin lightening properties and give a very soothing effect on the eyes.
2. Rose Water – Soak a cotton ball in rose water and put it on your closed eyelids. Rose water works as a good skin toner and it also has mild astringent properties.
3. Regulate your sleep regime – Get plenty of sleep at night since it increases your circulation. Remember to clean all the makeup from your eyes before going to sleep.
4. Potato – Chill a potato and then grate it. Extract the juice of this potato and soak a cotton ball in it. Now place this cotton ball over your dark circles and leave it for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with cold water. Potato is a natural bleaching agent and helps to lighten the dark circles.
5. Lemon juice – Prepare a thick paste using 1 tablespoon of lemon juice with a pinch of turmeric and 2 tablespoons of tomato puree. Apply the paste around your eyes and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Wash with water. Turmeric has antioxidant properties and tomato and lemon juice are rich in vitamin C, which has skin lightening properties.