Bitter or sweet, Almonds are full of goodness. They have various health benefits, since they contain so many nutrients such as proteins, vitamins, minerals and fiber. Almonds are consumed every day in various forms. Some people like them raw, while others roast them and add some salt. They can be eaten flaked, sliced, as butter, oil, flour or as almond milk. Crushed or flaked almonds are very commonly used as a garnish in various dishes. Children are encouraged to take 4-5 almonds every day. In many Indian households, it is a very common practice to soak the almonds over night and they are included in the breakfast as an essential item. Let’s have a look at their various health benefits.
- Eating almonds on an empty stomach helps to speed up the absorption of nutrients.
- Almonds contain phosphorus, which helps to build strong teeth and bones. Not only do they increase the durability of bones, they also decrease the risk of the progressive bone disease – Osteoporosis.
- Consuming almonds five times a week helps to reduce the risk of a heart attack. They improve the levels of blood lipids and reduce the effect of C-reactive proteins, which can cause inflammation in the arteries and damage them. They are rich in magnesium and Vitamin E, which are helpful in reducing the risk of heart attack.
- Almonds are very good for the human brain, since they contain L-carnitine and riboflavin, which increase the brain activity. These nutrients are beneficial to the functioning of the nervous system.
- They also lower the bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the good cholesterol (HDL) in the body. The vitamin E in helps to prevent cell damage, which in turn, helps to prevent clogging of arteries due to cholesterol.
Eat almond every day to have a healthy long life!