Plain chicken broth is low in calories, a cup of it containing only 18 calories. It is also low in fat, providing less than 2 grams per serving. It is rich in several important minerals. A 250 ml serving of chicken broth offers more than 200 milligrams of potassium, which is 10 percent of your requirement for the day and 70 milligrams of phosphorous.
A single cup of basic broth contains 2 to 3 percent of vitamin C, A, iron, and calcium you need. Broth created by simmering vegetables such as garlic cloves, onions, carrots, and celery along with the chicken will have a higher vitamin count.
Here’s why you should try drinking bone broth.
1. Heals your gut: The gelatin in the bone broth helps seal up the intestines. This helps cure chronic diarrhea, constipation, and even some food intolerances.
2. Protects your joints: The broth help keep your joints happy, healthy, and pain-free. The chondroitin sulfate in bone broth has been shown to help prevent osteoarthritis.
3. Look younger: Bone broth is a rich source of collagen. Drinking it can make your skin, hair, and nails look just as radiant.
4. Sleep better, and feel better: The glycine in bone broth has been shown in several studies to help people sleep better and improve memory.
5. Immune support: The high concentration of minerals can help strengthen your immune system and is good in providing relief from auto-immune disorders.
6. Stronger bones: The phosphorus, magnesium, and calcium in the bones seeps out into the broth leaving you with the essential building blocks for healthy bones.
7. Weight loss: Drinking a cup of hot chicken broth between meals will not only provide nutrients to the body but also makes you feel satisfied for a long time and helps you lose that extra weight naturally.
Chicken broth recipe:
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, halved
- 3 liters water
- salt as required, about 2 teaspoon
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 inch piece of peeled ginger
- 4-5 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
Place the chicken, onion, carrots, cilantro, ginger, garlic, salt and seasonings in a pot. Add water and bring to a boil. Place lid and bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered for about one hour and switch off the flame. Add more water if required. Strain through a colander. Remove the bones and shred some chicken to small pieces into the broth. Chill the broth overnight. The next day, remove the surface fat. Your healthy chicken broth is ready to serve as a great weight loss recipe. Sip a cup or two of hot chicken broth at breakfast or between meals. Chicken broth can also be used to make delicious chicken soups or other recipes, even to cook rice. It can be stored for about two weeks in a refrigerator.